Burgteatr (Burgtheater) – court theatre in the Vienna Hofburge, has been founded by the decree of empress Maria Tereziya in 1741. It was one of more popular theatres of the germanoyazychny world within XVIII and XIX centuries. Premieres of operas of Motsert «Abduction from a seraglio» (1782) here have taken place, «Figaro’s Marriage» (1786), «So arrive all» (1790).
In October, 1888 the theatre has moved to a new building on Ringshtrasse which designers were Charles Hazenauer and Gottfried Zemper. The facade in style the Renaissance is decorated by reliefs Rudolf Veyr’s "Orgy" and busts of the recognizable playwrights made sculptors Victor Tilgner and Charles Kundman.
Internal rooms are executed in style of the French baroque. On ladders – frescos of work of Gustav and Ernst Klimtov and Franz Macha. During the 2nd world war the building burnt, the fire has destroyed the central part of theatre, but has not touched 2 lateral wings. Post-war restoration works have been carried out under the direction of Michael Engelgart. Festive opening of theatre by a premiere of the drama of Franz Grilpartser «Greatness and falling of king Ottokar» on October 15, 1955 has taken place.
Burgteatr now – one of the main theatrical platforms of Vienna and all Europe.