Yudenplatts (Judenplatz), Carlton Browne photo
Jews lived in Vienna since the XII century. Drevnaya Square on which then there was a synagogue, was the centre of life of a community. Yudenplatts (Judenplatz) she has received the title in 1437. In an extent of centuries the Jewish population of Vienna suffered from riots. In 1421 all Jews, not wished to accept a baptism, have been expelled from the small town. By Nepokorlivye on public have been burnt (about this fact the memorial plate on the most ancient building of the area – the House of Jordan (Jordan-Haus)) testifies.
Evenly Jews have begun ворачиваться to Vienna, but persecutions lasted. At Ferdinand II in today’s Leopoldshtadta the ghetto has been created. In 1669 of Jews again have expelled, and a synagogue have turned into the Christian temple. New return became probable after war with Turks. In 1858 in a quarter have built the latest synagogue – the Leopoldshtadsky City Temple, and a building of a ravvinsky seminar.
House of Jordan (Jordan-Haus), Craig Elliott photo
New mass slaughters in the Jewish quarter (judische Viertel) of Vienna have begun in the twenties XX century. «At crystal night» 1938 nazis have burnt 42 synagogues. The temple in Leopoldshtadta has been burnt also. Now on its place the monument and a memorial board are established.
Memorial to Jews, Holocaust victims in Austria (Mahnmal fur die osterreichischen judischen Opfer der Schoah)
Yudenplatts Square – a unique place of memory of Jews. It is laid out by a stone stone blocks and surrounded with stylish facades of ancient houses. In the centre of the area there is a monumental grayish cube (Mahnmal fur die osterreichischen judischen Opfer der Schoah) – a monument 65 тыщам to Holocaust victims in Austria, made Rachel Uaytrid. The initiative of its opening belonged Simona Vizentalya. Rectangles on walls of a cube designate roots of books – an allegorical sign of the Book of the Life closed forever. On plates on each side a memorial names of places where nazis destroyed the Austrian Jews are written.
Monument to the German poet Lessing, Craig Elliott photo
In the southern part of the area the monument is established to the German poet Lessing – to the advocate of religious tolerance.
House of Mizrakhi (Misrachi-Haus), Craig Elliott photo
Museum of a medieval Judaism, guckma photo
On Evreyskaya Square, in the house of Mizrakhi (Misrachi-Haus) constructed in 1694, there is a museum of a medieval Judaism (Judisches Museum Wien). Its exposition knows about realities of life of the Vienna Jews before the first exile. In a basement floor it is possible to behold the base of the destroyed synagogue found at excavation of 1995.
Former Bohemian court office (Ehem. Bohmische Hofkanzlei), meike_n photo
On Yudenplatts there is the Former Bohemian court office (Ehem. Bohmische Hofkanzlei).
Modern Leopoldshtadt again became the centre of the Vienna Jewish life – some synagogues here operate, communal universities are open, kosher restaurants work.
Evreyskaya Square (Judenplatz), Grotciv photo
Evreyskaya Square (Judenplatz)