Shtefansplats (Stephansplatz), Alin Boboiciov photo
On the Vienna Shtefansplats Square (Stephansplatz) all main tourist routes begin. Here always briskly: on the area surrounded with shops and cafe, time at an o’clock passes a huge number of people; on East side Shtefansplats fiacres expect passengers, there is an underground parking. Street musicians here play and appoint meetings lovers. Over ancient houses and a stone stone blocks Sacred Stefan’s (Stephansdom) monumental cathedral towers.
The stately cathedral in the XII century was out of city walls. Since the XIII century round the temple began to erect houses, and the area which since the XV century was registered main in Vienna was evenly formed. Till 1732 on the area the cemetery c a chapel of St. Magdalena (die Magdalenskapelle) took place.
Cemetery on Shtefansplats, 1700
Having gone down in the underground on Shtefansplats, it is possible, in literal sense, to glance «in depth of centuries». At construction of station "Virgilkapella" (die Virgilkapelle) constructed in the XIII century has been found. Once this underground chapel was reported with St. Maria Magdalina’s cemeterial chapel. Magdalina’s chapel in 1781 has burnt down and is long stood in ruins. It have absolutely demolished in 1971.
Underground Virgilkapella’s (die Virgilkapelle) contours, Sebastian Niedlich photo
When in 1978 on Shtefansplats development of soil for the underground was conducted, the ancient vault was found. The opened chapel have fenced off a glass wall, and now she is visible from a station lobby. On Stephane Square surface contours of an underground chapel are laid out by a snow-white stone. Under east part of a cathedral of St. Stephane and under buildings adjoining to it catacombs of the former cemetery disappear.
At reconstruction of the XIX century a number of the decayed constructions have demolished. Such the makary have been almost incorporated Shtefansplats Square and Shtok-im-Ayzen (Stock-im-Eisen-Platz).
Shtefansplats (Stephansplatz), NZ/x photo
Shtefansplats is considered the most non-standard sight Haas-Haus – the House of the House built in 1900. Against historical buildings this house is allocated with own futuristic architecture. In his bent mirror facade Shtefansdom’s towers are reflected, and on a terrace there is a cafe overlooking a stately cathedral.
Nearby to Shtefansdom there is a Palace of the archbishop and the Cathedral museum (Dommuseum).
Parking of fiacres on Stephane Square (jlfaurie photo)
Shtefansplats – "Stephane Square", Cybergabi photo